Rode's Guide to DSLR Camera Settings for Rode VideoMic
Setting up audio on a DSLR with manual audio controls
2. Set mic to +20db. For loud sound sources 0 or -10db
3. Select menu and navigate to Live View/Movie func. set.
4. Scroll to Sound recording down the bottom
5. Change Sound rec. to Manual
6. Set rec. level as low as possible, averaging -12db
Setting up audio on a DSLR with Magic Lantern - for cameras without manual audio control
Use this section of the guide to set up audio on a DSLR without manual audio controls. Follow these steps one through four.
1. Insert mic jack into the 3.5mm input.
2. Set mic. to +20db. For loud sound sources 0 or -10db.
3. Put the camera into Live View mode and select DELETE (Trashcan) to access the Magic Lantern menu.
4. Scroll left to Audio and change to the setting in Pic-4, adjust the gain to achieve the desired level.
This guide was written by Rode for support in the operation of the Rode VideoMic Pro when using Cannon video cameras but may be applicable for other cameras as well.